CaringSG’s First Ever Purple Parade!
This year’s Purple Parade was held on 29 October 2022 at Suntec City to support inclusion and celebrate the abilities of persons with disabilities. 2022 marks the 10th anniversary for the Purple Parade, and the first time that CaringSG has participated in this event!
In the lead up to the Purple Parade, CaringSG held an online slogan quest for our members with two categories:
- Category 1: non-caregiver members can create their own short slogans to encourage caregivers
- Category 2: caregiver members can share their self-declared phrase that has always inspired them to remain motivated despite their challenges.
The contest ran until 30 November 2022. Scroll to the bottom of this article to see the winning slogans!
On the actual day of the Purple Parade, CaringSG members who dropped by the CaringSG booth and flashed their eCard were able to redeem limited edition free gifts (tote bag for caregiver members and a CaringSG badge for non-caregiver members).
Members as well as the public could also purchase specially made handicrafts to support the caregivers and youths of CAREcottage families (see their beautiful handicrafts here).
The highlight of the Purple Parade was the marching of contingents where participants marched together to show solidarity for persons with disabilities. CaringSG, together with Centre for Fathering, formed a strong marching contingent of 88 participants. Everyone was really happy and proud to be part of this meaningful event.
The Purple Parade was supported by five CAREkakis, nine CaringSG staff and twenty-two volunteers. A loud shoutout and thank you to our partners (Enabling Lives Initiative Grant by SG Enable and Tote Board, and Temasek Foundation) who made this meaningful event possible.
Congratulations to the following winners of our slogan quest!
We are greatly inspired by each and every one of your slogans and would like to announce the winners below:
- CaringSG Online Slogan Quest Winner (Category 1): “All trials have an expiry date!” by Ms Tay
- CaringSG Online Slogan Quest Winner (Category 2): “You make a world of difference!” by Low Li Ting
We also hope these notable slogan submissions will bring warmth to your day:
- “Together, We Can!” by Amir Yunus
- “Laugh more, open your heart, and take each day as it comes” by Ernest
- “Don’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the further you get.” by Lim Sook Wei
- “There is always light at every tunnel ahead.” by Ng Tiong Hui
- “Appreciate progress, no matter how small!!” by Poornima Rajaram
- “Care and Compassion in Community makes us stronger” by Timothy Wong
- “Mom is the best teacher for your own son! Love yourself, family first before you can love others” by Vivien Tanaka
- “Open our heart to listen, to act.” by Wong KK
- “Be brave, be persistent, be fun. Never give up! Yes, you can!” by Yuria Tantono
For all the caregivers out there, we see you care. And we care for you, too. For all the professionals who are out there, thank you for coming together with caregivers to learn and grow together.
A wonderful 3,000 caregivers and their loved ones joined us at the CARECarnivals, at Enabling Village, Kampung Admiralty, Heartbeat@Bedok
Practical tips to help caregivers and special needs children transit from preschool and EIPIC to primary school
The Purple Parade 2023, held on November 4th, was a heartwarming celebration of inclusion and support for individuals with special needs, their caregivers, and supporters.
You cannot pour from an empty cup; self-care is a necessary part of being an effective caregiver. It is perfectly okay to pamper yourself to something you’d like to do, prioritise rest and lean on others when you feel weary.